Agile software development refers to a group of software development methodologies based on iterative development, where requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration between self-organizing cross-functional teams. Agile methods or Agile processes generally promote a disciplined project management process that encourages frequent inspection and adaptation, a leadership philosophy that encourages teamwork, self-organization and accountability, a set of engineering best practices intended to allow for rapid delivery of high-quality software, and a business approach that aligns development with customer needs and company goals. Agile development refers to any development process that is aligned with the concepts of the Agile Manifesto.
Software development projects have suffered failures in the current environment due to the inability of customers to understand the software lifecycle, due to erroneous priorities, inability to manage change, and inefficient use of resources.
According to Standish Group's report in 2009, it shows that software projects are 68% worldwide unsuccessful.
The reason of failure is in software projects;
- The environment and requirements are not fully defined.
- Needs and wants change over time and market conditions are constantly evolving.
- It's not clear what the best way is.
- Existing constructions and complex.
As a way of removing the failures from the middle;
- The earliest and most frequent feedback on clients as possible, the production and display of working components,
- Facilitate encouraging participants to give feedback
- It is necessary to provide the most effective method of communication, which will ensure that the business requires priority access to the needs of participants who need information,
- Keeping the motivation of Software Developers at the highest level is a way to increase productivity.
In 2001, 18 independent software developers, known as the world's best software developers, came together to publish the Agile Manifesto (Agile Software Development Manifest).
Kent Beck, Mike Beedle, Arie van Bennekum, Alistair Cockburn, Ward Cunningham, Martin Fowler, James Grenning, Jim Highsmith, Andrew Hunt, Ron Jeffries, Jon Kern, Brian Marick, Robert C. Martin, Steve Mellor, Ken Schwaber, Jeff Sutherland, Dave Thomas
We are uncovering better ways of developing software by doing it and helping others do it. Through this work we have come to value:
- Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
- Working software over comprehensive documentation
- Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
- Responding to change over following a plan
That is, while there is value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left more.
- Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software.
- Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile processes harness change for the customer's competitive advantage.
- Deliver working software frequently, from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a preference to the shorter timescale.
- Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project.
- Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done.
- The most efficient and effective method of conveying information to and within a development team is face-to-face conversation.
- Working software is the primary measure of progress.
- Agile processes promote sustainable development. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.
- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
- Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount of work not done--is essential.
- The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams.
- At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly.
When the Agile Development Approaches are applied;
- Product Quality
- Declining Costs
- Customer happiness
- Employee motivation
Agile methods are widely used among the accepted software development methods in the world. Agile (Agile Approaches) in our country, especially in the field of Information Technologies, companies and banks operating in the field of software are starting to make pioneering transition ...