09 Mayıs 2013 26911 0 BUSINESS ANALYSIS Fonksiyon360
Business Analysis is a integrating duty and technicals which resolves organizations business structure, rules, processes, finding solutions to problems and opportunities and working with functional units while providing solutions.
The Business Analyst who have completed this duty continue as specialists to their careers.
The duties of a Business Analyst are;
- Understanding customer needs
- Understanding how the customer is operating the current job
- Designing to make the work become better
- Documenting customer needs
- Building projects in line with customer needs
- Designing work architecture and application
- Providing control and quality of development
- During and after development conducting functional and detailed test
- Evaluating the demands on the product and develop the product accordingly
- Understanding the structure of customers company and change accordingly
- Doing short, medium or long plans in parallel with customer needs
- Providing education and consultancy to customer
- Becoming the project owner
IIBA-International Institute Of Business Analysis, BABOK v2.0 Guideline – Business Analysis Body Of Knowledge Guide are answering "What should we do" rather than "How should we do" question.
In this case without looking at the requirements of the project we need to better define and understand them.
A corporate company has high objectives and business models. At the same time they have to complete daily operations. To form a link between final objectives and daily operations there is bond between Organizational Architecture.
There are five steps for this link:
- Understanding the Customer - Organizations are there to serve people. Determining organizational structure, shareholders
- Defining Business Model - organizations are there to reach a higher understanding and creating value for customers
- Aligning Processes - aligning organizaiton and business model and to make sure fundamental processes are understood for the general objective
- Designing Processes - how the processes are operated for efficiency and effectiveness
- Determining Requirements - requires designed works such as people, resources, IT systems etc.
Understanding the Customer
Understanding the customer is both similar and different than shareholder analysis.
The similarity is the requirement to define main customers and other important shareholders. Therefore the complexity between the relationships can make the analysis harder. Ineffective analysis can have devastating effects on the efforts.
Segmentation helps classifying current and potential customers. People and departments that are in the same segment have same requirements and characteristics. A common business model service can be provided. But to understand the requirements of customers in this segment, the environment should be well-understood.
Defining Business Model
Business Model is related with success path of the company. Mission of the company is a part of business model. Business model looks for answers to these questions.
- creating value - which value can I create to customer?
- offering value - how can I offer product /service to customers?
- capturing value - how can I gain from product / service?
Corporate companies should answer to these questions to see what they are doing.
- Does my company have unique new product or developing an existing one? Why customer services are necessary?
- Is the company using current distribution channels or building an own network?
- Does the company earn from software license, product selling, renting or from something else?
Process alignment is high level planning for business models. It will help the company strategy to become efficient. The main processes of creating value as defined by the direct business model, are the events that led to the delivery or return . It is customer oriented. Main processes such as production, selling, logistics, income guarantee Supportive processes create main processes or activities that will add value to productivity. HR processes, accounting and IT. For example a good HR process has the best personnel working on the duty. This will improve main process. Since the link is indirect, it is not always easy to adapt with a supportive process.
Value Chain Analysis determines main processes and expalins how they will contribute to general result.
Process design should be defined as effective as possible. Business Analysts gathering information and bringing in subject matter experts explain with diagrams and documentation.
- Education - Business Analysts should known what they are doing
- Motivation - they work better depending on how well they can see "big picture"
- Improvement - a well documented process, is prerequisite for improvement opportunity analysis
- Control - to help monitoring design created by process and to discover the diversions in the plan
Business Analyst have some common requirements. They examine it work with shareholders and serve to bring them together:
- Human Resources - required skills and competence
- Data - What kind of information is required? Which informai0tion should be stored afterwards?
- Resources - what type of resources are needed to accomplish this?
- BT Functionality - what are necessary for BT systems that support every job